Saturday, January 14, 2012

Routine

Without a routine in my life, I can be very unproductive. But in that unproductivity (no, it's not a word), I can find such joy. I realize that makes me sound incredibly lazy, but sometimes I am. And that's fine with me. There are times when I look back at my day and wish I had gotten something, anything, done. But mostly I feel content soaking up every second of down time and finding real meaning in the word vacation

Because the opposite of that word often means crazy busy life. When I feel like almost every second of my week is scheduled, I am easily overwhelmed. So I dread the return to routine...it comes in 2 days. And I could cry thinking of the drastic change it will be. But in anticipation of that change, I will be thinking of ways that I can breathe and find contentment, even in the busyness. Maybe by wasting less time on the internet and using that time to take more naps. Or by crafting more often, or reading a book for fun. Or by spending time with Jesus and resting in His beauty. Or by sitting on the blue couch in our living room, next to the sunny window. A busy schedule does not have to mean an overwhelming or unhappy semester. I pray for joy and peace this semester.

The last couple days (some of my last days before routine takes over) have been good. The beginning of the week was hard because Cathy and Izzy, the last of our special visitors, left. It's hard every time one of my siblings has to leave home. Because when they're here, life is just as it's meant to be. And when they leave, it usually means vacation is nearing its end. So I was sad and really missing Cathy and Izzy, the two members of our family that will cuddle with me. But on Thursday afternoon, my dad and I took off for Colorado Springs. Father-daughter road trip! On the 2 1/2 hour drive down, my dad told me lots of stories about when he was younger. Most of them I hadn't even heard before! I got to hear about several specific and detailed football and baseball games from his high school and college years. And let me tell you, my dad was a stud back in the day. I mean, he still is. When we got to the Springs, we went to dinner at Flatirons with my friend Dan and it was delicious. Dan showed me CC's campus and we watched Super 8, which is pretty much a newer version of The Goonies.


I spent most of Friday sleeping, reading, and watching reruns on TV, but we also got to spend time with my Uncle Dave and Aunt Dana. For dinner, we got some great Chinese food with Grandmother at Chopsticks. Then my dad and I went to watch Dan play basketball for CC. Even though my dad was a little embarrassing by loudly cheering (and yelling at the refs), I was grateful he was there to keep me company. The game was really exciting and CC won! It was a good way to bring Christmas break to a close, but I'm also glad to have a couple more days of unproductive relaxing ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...