Sunday, April 14, 2013

Feeling Deeply

If you know me at all, you know that I feel emotions deeply. Joy, excitement, love, hurt, sadness. And tears can accompany almost any emotion I feel. So there are definitely times when I wish I didn't feel so deeply. But there are other times when I feel certain that it is a blessing and a huge part of who I am. 

I felt deeply this weekend. It has been one full of goodness. I got to house/pet-sit, so I've had this wonderful stay-cation. [House-sitting is the best job ever...you get paid to eat someone else's food, sleep in someone else's bed, and watch someone else's movies.] I spent very little time crossing things off of my to-do list and quite a lot of time embracing the true meaning of relaxation. On Saturday morning I woke up late in my weekend house, grabbed a Pop-tart, and watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I watched episodes of some of my favorite shows, took the dog on a walk, dreamed on Pinterest, and ate food that I don't have at my own house. 

Then I got to have a mini best friend reunion. Best friend reunions are the best kind of reunions. Because they are real and easy and life-bringing. We reminisced and shared stories about our recent lives and laughed that can't-catch-my-breath, my-stomach-hurts, tears-streaming laugh. Over and over again. It was so good to be together and it was just what we all needed.



Today, as I thought about life and the people I love and the circumstances around us, I felt sad and hurt and fearful. About many things. Not necessarily significant things, but real things. So I allowed myself to feel those emotions for a little and I cried a couple times. Even as I was tearing up at church, the pastor was talking about James 1.
 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do."

He talked about how we can have a "simmering calm delight" in the midst of trials because we know that God wins. 
"In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart, for I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Here's one of the guys I've been taking care of this weekend...Gus. I'm not really a cat person, so it kinda freaks me out when he climbs all over me, but he's pretty cute. 



Also, on a completely unrelated note, did I ever post a picture of my new mug?? I got one for my best friend, my sister, and myself because I liked it so much (and Kelle Hampton has one). I've been using it as I write this terrible paper...it helps a little. And the tag on my tea had a sweet little message for me...dream



For a perfect ending to my stay-cation weekend, I'm watching Cinderella. Yes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...