Saturday, March 9, 2013

Overdue beauty

I've waited too long in between blog posts so I have so many things to say! Bear with me for this random rambling of great things in my life.

1. Today I watched Lars and the Real Girl for the first time. It has Ryan Gosling in it, so it's really a shocker that it took me this long to see it. It's old and not his traditional heart-throb role, but he's adorable nonetheless. It's one of those kinda weird movies that you're not too sure about at first...like Little Miss Sunshine or Away We Go...you know that kind? The ones with really great music and surprisingly beautiful stories? Yes, it's one of those. Watch it. Especially if you're needing to restore your faith in humanity - watch it.

2. Yesterday, I went on a run. I ran 11 FREAKING MILES. I don't even feel bad bragging about it because it sucked so much. Anyways, towards the beginning of my run, I glanced at the trail beneath my feet and was rewarded with something awesome. There was an arrow pointing down the center of the bike trail. Every 10 yards or so (who knows, I'm a terrible judge of distance), there were little love notes. For example: "You are the one that melts my heart." "You are the one I want to walk with." "You are the one I want to bike with." These sweet messages were clearly leading up to a proposal and there were lots of them. For a second I thought they could be for me...then I remembered I don't even have a boyfriend. And then they stopped and the last one said something like, "But mostly, I want to ask you..." So I'm assuming that's where Prince Charming was down on one knee. It brought me joy and started me daydreaming, so my run sucked a little less for few minutes.

3. I've been thinking a lot about my post from a yearish ago, "The Graciousness of Uncertainty." It is still so applicable to my daily life and it's something I often need to remind myself of. I've read two sweet quotes that relate to that post in the last two weeks (thanks to my inspiring Facebook friends..).
"It seems like you're waiting for an itinerary when Jesus just wants you to join the adventure."
"Nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future...there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."
I'm constantly dreaming of and craving adventure and spontaneity and surprise, but I always get distracted by my worries and my desire to be in control and to know what's ahead. These precious reminders could not come often enough for me and I'm grateful for them.

4. We had a couple gorgeous days this week. On Wednesday I got to run in just a t-shirt. On Thursday, I took a little vacation in my front yard. I started reading a book just for fun and neglected my homework for an afternoon in the sweet sweet sunshine. It was a great life choice.




5. I got to spend time with some lovely friends today. Kim and I met to pray about Young Lives. We did get some prayer in, but we also got to be listening ears for a man that wanted to be heard. Remember how important listening is? This man wanted to talk and we happened to be there to listen. He talked about how Notorious B.I.G and Tupac and one other guy were the only people to have their mothers in their music videos. How he fully believed that Tupac was still alive - he just knew when to get out of the United States (with the help of his mother). How Tyrese and Monica (two R&B singers from back in the day) had a daughter who was in Stomp the Yard (these facts sound legit, right?). Anyways, it was hilarious - you should've been there. But, even with all the distractions, it was so good to be with Kim. I also got to hang out with Mallory (bike-shopping, Hu Hot-eating, movie-watching) and my roommates and their boyfriends. I feel blessed today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...